10.30.2007

Laughter

This season of ministry that I find myself in is pretty exhausting. Transition and change is, on the one hand, stimulating and exciting, as plans unfold and visions refine, but on the other hand trying and frustrating, as not all answers are known and timetables, at times, seem more than vague. And as the change does unfold, there is always the prospect of the "unknown" lurking in the shadows, which by its very nature, brings with it a sense of fear and doubt. Add on to that the privilege of walking alongside of people in the midst of deep personal crisis, as well as the ongoing daily tasks of ministry that keep on coming, and you have a recipe for emotional, physical and spiritual drain.

I'm doing what I can to combat that drain (although those late night Red Sox games did not help the physical side of the equation). Making sure I carve out time for prayer, personal study, renewal with colleagues, reading, etc. Without the prayers of others I would be in even worse shape, I'm sure.

And so I am so thankful for the portion of my ministry that involves youth. They bring such energy and enthusiasm for just about anything. And best of all, they make me laugh. And laughter is truly one of God's great gifts of healing.

So to my students who, this past Sunday night, were willing to dunk their heads into icy water, and have hay stuffed into their clothes, and eat pies using only their mouths, and bowl with assorted gourds, and powder their faces with donuts on a string, and smash a pumpkin like a pinata, and wear hilarious costumes...thank you for making me laugh. I really needed it, more than you know!

1 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger Annie said...

:-D
our pleasure! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home