8.29.2008

Tiger

As a fundraiser for our Youth Ministries, I volunteered yesterday over at the Deutsche Bank PGA Tour event at the TPC Boston (which is actually in Norton, MA). I spent a boring day selling food to just a few people, as it was simply a practice round day, and the crowds were really light. After my shift ended I wandered around the course for a while watching some of the pros practice. Ernie Els was most impressive.

But what struck me most was that the main topic of people's conversations was not who was playing, but who wasn't playing. Tiger Woods, out for a while following surgery, is not playing, and would not be in attendance, even though he is the official player-sponsor of the tournament. Had he been there practicing, the crowd would have been 10 times bigger.

Someone asked me once if there was something besides his golf ability that makes Tiger so appealing to golf fans, and non-golf fans. He seems to transcend the sport. My response was that he is one of those individuals who just seems to drip charisma, and displayes such a sheer joy for the game, that he commands your attention and your admiration. The video below, for me, shows that very attribute of Tiger to perfection. Watch his sheer joy at the end of the video. There is no way that he is "acting". Maybe it took him 200 shots to pull this off, but his reaction is priceless, and you can't help but smile.







Just imagine if we as Christians, could display half as much joy and enthusiasm for serving Christ...what a witness that would be!

3 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Todd said...

That's a great clip. Reminds me of the clip where he bounces the ball on the club for several minutes then smacks it down the fairway. He is very inspiring.

I think the inspiriation I gain from my faith at timies is more an internal sustaining excitement than an outward expression of excitement. Our washer broke last Wednesday. A huge replacement expense we were not counting on and really can not afford. Two long time members in my church died in the last 2 months. A friend's sister has been re-diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and probably will die from it.

None of that is exclusive to me. Those are very real and "normal" issues everyone faces everywhere.

Through it all however, my faith gives me opportunity to share my anxiety, saddness, indeed depression, excitement and love each week with a group of people that genuinely care about me and me about them. We can share communion each week, give and recieve forgivenes, offer encouragement and pray with each other.

I'm not sure I will ever express my faith like Tiger expressed his excitement at sinking a rubic cube (of all things) did in that clip. That is really not within my persoanlity(I also won't make a huge sum of money for doing that like he probably did), but my faith is very real and has sustained me through some pretty crappy times and does get expressed every week with those in my imeditate family and church family. Over the past year or so that inner excitement is getting expressed more outwardly.

But damn he's good isn't he!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Todd said...

BTW - this is Todd Peterson. I grew up in the North Easton church. My parents were Delmar and Trudy Peterson.

I have stopped in before, but never commented on your blog. We have had some blogs set up here at our church and they are not used much. I have recently started adding my coments more and more as it gives me a chance write what I wish I had said in sunday school or a random conversation, but could not or did not. Thanks for stepping up and putting your thoughts out there for others to reflect on.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The standing around was boring waiting for people, but found the interaction with others quite interesting. It was a unique experience to be able to see PGA golf that close though.

I think in recent years I have been able to find that excitement with our students. Maybe not the same outward emotion, but an inner peace and great warmth. I feel that I have been able to share my great joy of faith with others.

Thank you for your continued faithfulness and reaching out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home