8.07.2006

Awe

On Sunday, I preached from the prophet Habakkuk, who in chapter 3 verse 2 prays, "Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, Lord. Renew them in our day, in our own time make them known". Like the author and theologian Don Everts, I too believe that one of the biggest challenges facing the church of Jesus Christ today, is our loss of awe. We have forgotten just who God is, as we have, over the years, reduced him into bite size chunks of bland "tofu" (Evert's great thought, not, unfortunately, my own). If the church is going to proclaim Him to this world so desperately in need of Him, then we must reclaim the sense of awe that the people of the Hebrew scriptures, and those that interacted with Jesus on a daily basis back 2000 years ago, had. The type of awe that forced people to their knees.

As I asked in my sermon, when was the last time you were in awe of God? When was the last time you trembled in awe as you held the bread and the cup in your hands, reflecting on Jesus?

Once again the words of U2 come to mind..."Your love is teaching me how to kneel."

1 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Nice work Johnny. Good thoughts. Don too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home