3.16.2007

Stations

My first encounter (that I recall impacting me) with the Stations of the Cross took place on an 8th grade trip to Quebec. While there (supposedly to be working on our French) we visited the Saint Anne de Beaupre Basilica. It is a beautiful church and grounds. After looking at the interior, and being mesmerized by a wall covered with crutches, canes and wheel chairs left by those who had been healed during their visit, I wandered outside and noticed a path traversing a hillside. Along the path were statues of Jesus in different stages of his final hours. As I walked the path, I had one of those "holy moments" where the Spirit entered into my heart and ushered me into the presence of God. Although I had no idea how to pray the Stations, or even that others did, it was a moment that I will never forget.

Since then, I have not only come to learn the Stations, and about the history of the Stations, I have even had the opportunity (on two seperate occasions) to walk the actual Stations of the Cross in Jerusalem. The Stations have become a powerful Lenten tool for my faith as I move closer to His passion, and all the events of Holy Week.

Many Catholic churches include Stations somewhere on their grounds that are open to all visitors. There are internet sites where you can "walk" the Stations online (try http://cptryon.org//xpipassio/stations/). or download prayer booklets. I encourage you to take time out of your daily routine during this period of Lent, and to walk the Stations of the Cross with our Lord.

1 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Our YG is going to set up a Stations of the Cross in our gym for Good Friday...I'm really looking forward to it.

I did the Stations last year with the YG and it was very cool. Growing up in the RC Church, the Stations were always a highlight for me during Lent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home