12.19.2007

The Second Gift of Christmas

Yesterday, after a very long day (which was preceeded by a very long week and a very long season of ministry), before turning in for the night, I decided to check my voicemail here at the church office. I had been in and out all day at various meetings and appointments, and wanted to make sure that a call hadn't slipped through the cracks. Sure enough, I had one unplayed message. As I listened to it, I realized that I had just received the second official gift of this Christmas season.


I wrote earlier about the gift of a starter being installed in my car, and how meaningful it was for me that a friend would use his expertise and time, to help me in my lack of both. As I reflected on that, I considered it the first gift of the Christmas season, and felt that its example was something we all should be reminded of...that we are called to use our giftedness to help others in their need, no matter in how simple a way. This second gift, that of a voicemail message, also has a lesson for us. That is, one of the best gifts that we can give during this season, is the gift of simply saying "thank you".

The woman who left the message is not a member of our church community. I met her only briefly a few years back when she helped to organize an event at the Junior High school here in town. I was asked to come and give a seminar on parenting, seminar I called "Parenting 101" and focused on acheiving wholeness in our children's lives. It seemed to be well received, and I was invited back the very next year to give the same seminar again. This woman, 3 years later, called to say "thank you" to me for that seminar. Her daughter, now in college, is doing really well, and she wanted me to know that some of the advice I had given has been very helpful in her raising her daughter to wholeness. As she sees many of her daughter's friends struggling with life and decisions, and her own daughter doing so well, she wanted me to know that I, in some way through that seminar, have played a small part in her daughter's wellness. And so, out of the blue, she called to say "thank you" and to wish me and my family a Merry Christmas.

What a joy to listen to that message! What a gift to have someone take their precious time to say "thanks" for some way that you have impacted their life for good. I pray that each of us, could pick up the phone during these few remaining days before Christmas, and make a call of "thanks" to someone who has touched us. The impact that would have on them is beyond measure, and is a true gift. And may we each, find time to pause during these last hectic days of shopping, and card sending, and wrapping, and baking, to spend time with God and to thank Him for the gift he presents to us anew this year in the manger.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Brian said...

That is sweet! Funny, I recently received a similar gift. I got a card in the mail a few weeks ago from a mom who has two boys in college now. Enclosed was a gift with a note that was really cool and affirming. Something along the lines of "I was thinking today of how God has been so good to me and how He has answered so many of my prayers..." In short, she went on to say how I was part of an answer to her prayers for her boys with regard to role models and their faith etc.

Not only is it a gift to receive that thanks, it is also such a blessing, albeit humbling and a bit scary, for God to work through little ol' me and you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home